“How wonderful that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.”
– Anne Frank
Victim Support Advocate
The Victim Support Advocate will ensure that every family who connects with the SKCAC receives support in a timely manner, for as long, and to the extent, the family determines is needed.
Victim Support Advocates are
required to complete a 3-month orientation.
Additionally, they must be committed to volunteering for a minimum of 1 year, 3 hours a week.
- Be a consistent and continual support to children, youth, and families by providing ongoing support and follow up throughout their entire process at the Centre even following court – a case is never closed!
- Provide information, support, and referrals to children, youth and families depending on their needs.
- Liaise with other victim services to ensure support is more accessible and available to children and their families from diverse areas.
- Provide information about the roles of each professional that they will engage with and refer the family to that professional for specific questions/concerns as they come up
The Child Space Volunteer helps to create a safe and welcoming environment for the children and families accessing the SKCAC by providing support within the child space.
Child Space volunteers are required to complete site-specific training and must be committed to volunteering for a minimum of 1 year, 3 daytime hours a week.
- Provide supervised play experiences in a warm and caring manner that is sensitive to each child and family’s current needs.
- Engage children in play within the Child Space to help them feel safe and comfortable
Event Volunteering is a great way for people to donate their time when they are unable to commit to a consistent volunteer schedule.
These volunteers are able to volunteer their time, even with limited availability and scheduling.
- Assist with planning, organization, and management of events
- Act as a representative for the SKCAC by sharing information about the centre and collecting donations at various fundraising events as scheduled throughout the year.